St. Patty’s day is around the corner (March 17th), so do you have any plans? I can say that my plans have definitely evolved with my age. It used to be like a national holiday in my teen & early twenties, right up there with the May
party long weekend. It tapered off a bit in my later twenties, kinda turned the dial down from an 11 to maybe a 7. Now I’m not sure I can recall what I did the past couple years. Probably met up with a few friends at non-Irish pub because we’re too old to deal with line-ups and crowds and “kiss me, I’m Irish” tight t-shirts. Who am I kidding, I would still wear the t-shirt if my abs were as tight as the shirt.
These days I just love any excuse to make some green coloured food. What I would really love is to have a whole green themed dinner party with appetizers, mains, sides and dessert all green & gourmet. Maybe next year? For now here’s a green, delicious and easy no-churn pistachio ice cream recipe.
I got this recipe from my blogger pal Jesseca at One Sweet Appetite and kinda added my own twist to it. It’s soooo easy and you don’t need an ice cream machine. It’s basically a two ingredient recipe and then you can add whatever extra flavors you like.
No Churn Pistachio Ice Cream
• 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
• 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
• 1 package of pistachio flavor instant pudding
• 3/4 shelled & crushed pistachios (more/less to taste)
• green food coloring (optional)
This recipe really can’t be any easier.
1. whip the cream until it makes stiff peaks.
2. combine the condensed milk, 1/2 cup of the pistachios & pudding mix together until blended.
3. fold in the whip cream with the condensed milk mixture. Add some green food coloring if you want a more intense shade of green.
4. pour into glass or metal container, close air tight lid or cover well with plastic wrap and place in freezer for a min. of 6 hours, preferably overnight.
Remove from freezer about 15-20 minutes before you want to serve, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup crushed pistachios and you’re good to go!
You’ll have a creamy and delicious green treat to celebrate St.Patrick’s day, or any day really.
Don’t be afraid to add some chocolate syrup if you want. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.
Thanks again to One Sweet Appetite for the recipe. I’m definitely going to be trying a bunch more different flavors. Next up will be coffee for sure.
If you like this recipe, you can find more in our Good Eats recipe gallery. Enjoy and Happy St. Patrick’s day friends!