It’s true, time is ticking but don’t worry guys you can still pull off some holiday magic in the kitchen. This season can definitely get a bit nutso but one thing that I always make time for is holiday baking. It actually relaxes me. I like to take a whole day and just bake. It’s also my favourite thing to give. I find buying gifts is just too much of a guessing game. I rather give the gift of food. I mean who doesn’t like to eat?! The thing is that these days there’s lots of food intolerances to be aware of which is why I’m super excited to share this recipe for lactose free Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti with you.
Thanks to our friends at Natrel you can now bake your little heart out using their new lactose free butter, the first ever available in Canada. That’s like a million recipes that just turned lactose free with one single ingredient swap. And don’t worry, it’s not some mystery product that will have you wondering if you traded your soul to go lactose free. It’s made with just two ingredients – lactose free cream and sea salt. And for those that are ok with lactose but just like to eat as clean and natural as possible, Natrel also has a new organic butter made with cream from dairy farms that follow organic farming principles and sea salt. So you can feel a little better about treating yourself and your guests for the holidays.
Biscotti have kinda become my holiday signature. I always whip up a whole bunch and give them as gifts. This year I thought I would try something slightly different and add a little extra holiday colour and flavour and try a cranberry pistachio recipe. Don’t be intimidated by the double bake process. It’s really not a big deal at all. I slightly modified this recipe and had great success on my first try. I skipped the white chocolate to keep it lactose free and I would say that it makes more like 2 dozen:
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons Natrel lactose free butter*, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
3/4 cup shelled natural unsalted pistachios
* Feel free to use Natrel organic butter if you’re not lactose intolerant
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift first 3 ingredients into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl to blend well. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Mix in lemon peel, vanilla, and aniseed.
- Beat in flour mixture just until blended.
- Stir in cranberries and pistachios (dough will be sticky). Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gather dough together; divide in half. Roll each half into 15-inch-long log (about 1 1/4 inches wide).
- Carefully transfer logs to 1 prepared baking sheet, spacing 3 inches apart.
- Bake logs until almost firm to touch but still pale, about 30 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet 10 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
- Carefully transfer logs still on parchment to cutting board. Using serrated knife and gentle sawing motion, cut logs crosswise into generous 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices, 1 cut side down, on remaining 2 prepared sheets. Bake until firm and pale golden, about 9 minutes per side. Transfer cookies to racks and cool.
The double bake process is what gets your biscotti nice and golden. When you’re done you’ll have something like this and your kitchen will smell amazing!
The big bonus of course is that thanks to Natrel Lactose Free butter you can share them with even more people and don’t have to compromise taste or texture. If you’re wondering where you can find the lactose free butter, it’s available in Quebec, Ontario and the Atlantic provinces and the Natrel Organic butter can be found in stores in Ontario and Quebec only.
These lactose free cranberry pistachio biscotti are the perfect holiday gift or great for cookie exchanges because it’s an easy recipe to double and they store really well and for a long period of time. I actually like them better when they dry out a bit, perfect for coffee dipping! Cookie exchanges are probably my favourite holiday tradition. I mean, what’s better than baking up a storm then getting to drool over a sea of holiday cookie surprises and getting to go home with some of each one?
If dessert exchanges are your thing then you should check out Natrel’s Greatest Dessert Exchange. If you’re already planning on some holiday baking then it’s a no brainer. Try one of your old favourites or a new dessert using Natrel products, spread joy by offering it to a loved one and have them pass along some holiday dessert too! You can also visit Natrel’s Facebook page and share the official Natrel Greatest Dessert Exchange post. For each share, Natrel will donate 25 cents to Breakfast Club of Canada.
Happy holiday baking! And don’t forget to check out our gallery for more delicious recipes.