It’s the season for salads and grilling and I have just the perfect dish. This is actually a recipe I made up all on my very own. You can start calling me chef. I actually make it all year using my countertop grill but it’s definitely better in the summer with seasonal vegetables and the sizzle of a real BBQ grill. Don’t be intimated by the ingredient list at all, it’s just a guideline. Cooking is all about experimenting and using your favourite ingredients. Keep reading to find out how you can whip up this healthy grilled pepper, asparagus and spicy shrimp quinoa dish for your next meal.
GRILLED VEGETABLE & SPICY SHRIMP QUINOA SALAD:
• 1 cup quinoa
• 1 each yellow pepper, orange pepper
• 6-10 large shrimp, uncooked
• 1 bundle asparagus
• 1/4 cup feta cheese
• 2 garlic gloves
• chili oil or chili flakes
• olive oil
• white wine
• rice vinegar
Makes 2-3 servings (depending on how hungry you are!)
• get your quinoa cooking according to the directions. Try using chicken or vegetable stock instead of water for extra flavour.
• cut up your peppers into large wedges. Give your peppers and asparagus a coating of olive oil and place on your BBQ or counter top grill until cooked to your liking.
• peel and clean your shrimp. Toss with a light coating of chili oil or chili flakes with some olive oil.
• heat a pan on medium with about 1/2 tbsp each of butter & olive oil and place the shrimp in when hot. Add 1 tsp of finely chopped garlic after about 1 minute. Then add approx. 1 tbsp of white wine after 1 more minute. Cook until wine reduces. Remove from heat.
Once everything is cooked, toss it all together and place on a bed of quinoa, sprinkle with some feta cheese and and little bit of rice vinegar as a dressing, salt & pepper to taste and enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, find more in our Good Eats section.