This is a quick and easy one people. Sometimes I dream up recipes I want to try, make my list, go shopping, spend lotsa time making it and photographing it to share….and sometimes I just kinda photograph what I whipped up for dinner. That’s one of those times. I like to share lots of different recipes because I looooove food but it’s also important for me to show truly how simple & easy some things can be, like this mushroom and goat cheese pizza. Yum!
• 1 ball of pre-made dough (or make your own if you like)
• approx. 2 cups of your favorite mushrooms sliced. I used a combo of porcini, portobello & shiitake.
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1 medium onion
• white wine for cooking
• 2-4 tbsp. butter
• 2-4 tbsp. olive oil
• 100 g of soft goat cheese
• preheat oven to 400° and grease your pizza pan with a thin layer of Crisco or oil.
TIP: Crisco is your secret weapon for not having the dough shrink back up on you when you’re trying to stretch it and bonus! it gives you a crispy crust. But if you’re not into the whole shortening thing, just use oil & prepare to battle with your dough.
• in a pan over medium heat, combine approx. 2 tbsp each of butter & oil. Once the pan is hot, add diced onion and garlic. Cook until onions are clear for a few minutes.
• add in about 1/2 c. of white wine and simmer on low until the wine reduces by 50%. When it’s done, remove from pan and set aside.
• in the same pan or a new one heat approx. 2 tbsp. each of butter & oil over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms once pan is hot. Cook until they are 50% cooked – fairly soft and starting to brown.
• spread your dough on your pan then add a very thin layer of olive oil just around the crust.
• layer on the onion & garlic mixture, then the mushrooms and lastly the goat cheese.
• bake until bottom and crust are golden, approx. 18-25 minutes. This will vary depending on the thickness of your dough and your oven so check after 18 minutes and keep checking every few minutes.
Remove and devour! It’s so simple and delicious. You could also serve this as more of an appetizer if you make it into two smaller pieces and cut into small slices. Add some soup and salad and you have a great meal. Ok, so add some white wine too…twist my arm.
If you liked this, stop by our recipe gallery for more delish dishes to try.